Give children the nutritious meals they need during their critical developing years, and help them develop good eating habits that follow them into their adult years – all while getting reimbursed for a portion of the cost of food served!

About The Food Program

The Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) is a federally funded program sponsored by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). As a licensed or certified family child care provider, the program provides you with financial reimbursement for serving nutritious meals and snacks to kids in your care.
All children ages 0 through 12 years in child care are eligible to participate in this program. Each child can be paid for either two meals and one snack or two snacks and one meal per day.

Map of Wisconsin highlighting Sauk, Columbia, Iowa, Dane, Jefferson, Grant, Lafayette, Green, Rock, and Walworth Counties
  • Why is good nutrition in child care important?

    • Child care settings significantly influence children’s eating patterns.
    • 65% of children are enrolled in child care and spend on average 33 hours per week there. The meals and snacks they are provided while in child care makeup 50-75% of their overall diet.
    • As children’s healthy habits are developed at a young age, it is critical to start nutrition education early.
    • We have a great responsibility to ensure that children receive good nutrition from the start.
  • Why join the Food Program?

    • You get valuable nutrition education to know the proper foods to feed children in amounts appropriate for these young age groups.
    • You receive help through nutrition education and personal visits from CACFP staff in understanding how to encourage positive eating habits that will benefit a child throughout life.
    • You get reimbursement to offset the cost of food.

    For more information about why you should join the Food Program, check out Tom Copeland’s Taking Care of Business website. Tom is the nation’s leading expert on the business of family child care and offers straightforward advice about the CACFP.

  • What do I need to do to enroll?

    If you are a county certified or state licensed family child care provider caring for at least one child (full-time or part-time), you are eligible to participate. Give us a call, send an email, or fill out the form to learn about getting started.

Request More Information

Fill out the form above to request more information or contact us using the information below.

Phone: 608.271.5242 OR 800.292.2429
Email: [email protected]
The information on this website applies to the 4-C Food Program ONLY.

A teacher holds a crayon and colors with his three students during art time

Participation in the Food Program

Preschooler students sitting on the floor for reading time while their teacher sits in front of them with an open book

Meal and Snack Planning

A teacher sits at a table in the classroom with three toddlers during snack time

Memos, Forms, and Resources

Helpful Links

Featured Posts

Eating Health on a Budget

February 25th, 2022|0 Comments

At this point, we all know how vital it is to have a healthy diet to support both our physical and mental wellbeing, and that this is even more important for children. Yet the price [...]

5 Tips for Incorporating Literacy into Each Day

January 31st, 2022|0 Comments

A child’s development begins at birth, and literacy is no different. Improving babies’ and toddlers’ language and basic literacy at a young age can have many benefits to building a foundation for literacy skills that [...]

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) Email: program.[email protected] This institution is an equal opportunity provider.