Pumpkin Bread or Cupcakes
- 1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup oil or soft butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup honey or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour or unbleached flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- oil or butter for greasing the pan
- Beat oil and honey (or sugar) together in bowl; add eggs; mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Add dry ingredients and water to sugar or honey mixture.
- Mix in pumpkin and optional nuts.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease loaf pan with oil or butter or put cupcake liners into muffin pans.
- Spoon in batter.
- Bake for 1 hour for loaf, or 20 – 25 minutes for cupcakes.
Variations: Omit pumpkin, use yams or winter squash.
Interested in additional resources and ongoing nutrition education?
Contact 4-C to learn more about participating in the Child and Adult Care Food Program!
Courtesy of Whole Foods For the Whole Family, La Leche League from International Cookbook