1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Food coloring if desired
1 Tablespoon extract (peppermint, vanilla, coconut, lemon, etc.) (OR about 5 drops, ¼ teaspoon, if using essential oils)
- Mix flour, salt, & cream of tartar in a medium cooking pot.
- Add water, oil, and if desired, food coloring and extract/oil.
- Stir over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- When mixture forms a ball in pot, remove.
- When cool enough to touch, knead until smooth.
- Let cool, put in a plastic bag, and refrigerate to store.
- If you have more than 1 child, consider making a double batch.
- Cream of Tartar can be expensive, but Woodman’s grocery store carries Tone’s Cream of Tartar for the best price. (1 batch may require 1-2 small jars, for a total of $.90-1.80).
2 cups flour
½ cup salt
¼ cup cream of tartar
2 T vegetable oil
2 cups water
3 cups flour
¾ cup salt
¼ cup + 2T (6 T) cream of tartar
3 T vegetable oil
3 cups water