Food Program for Family Child Care Providers

Para ayuda en Español por favor contacte a 4-C a o al teléfono 608-271-9181.


The 4-C Food Program reimburses family child care providers for a portion of the cost of food served to children in their care. Child care providers receive ongoing nutrition education and regular visits from experienced staff. The 4-C Food Program offers child nutrition resources and ongoing support which allow child care providers to offer healthy meals and snacks to the children in their care.

What is the Child and Adult Care Food Program?

The Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) is funded as part of the National School Lunch Act. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) provides funding to help children in school and child care receive nutritious food. In Wisconsin the Food Program is administered by the Department of Public Instruction.

All children ages 0 through 12 years in child care are eligible to participate in this program. Each child can be paid for either two meals and one snack or two snacks and one meal per day. There are two rates of reimbursement which will be explained when you call 4-C or when a staff person visits you.

County certified or state licensed family child care providers caring for at least one child (full-time or part-time) are eligible to participate in the Food Program. 

Once enrolled in the 4-C Food Program, you are required to:

  • Feed children in your care using USDA nutrition guidelines.
  • Submit monthly records of food you have served children in your care and how many meals were served. You can claim online or 4-C provides menu and attendance forms with envelopes.
  • Have a 4-C Nutrition Specialist visit with you three times per year while you are serving children a meal or snack.
  • Attend one training session per year or complete a home study packet.

Interested in learning more about the Food Program?

Phone: 608.271.5242 OR 800.292.2429

Fax: 608.271.5380



The information on this website applies to the 4-C Food Program ONLY.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) Email: