- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Food coloring if desired
- 1 Tablespoon extract (peppermint, vanilla, coconut, lemon, etc.) (OR about 5 drops, ¼ teaspoon, if using essential oils)
Mix flour, salt, & cream of tartar in a medium cooking pot.
Add water, oil, and if desired, food coloring and extract/oil.
Stir over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes stirring constantly.
When mixture forms a ball in pot, remove.
When cool enough to touch, knead until smooth.
Let cool, put in a plastic bag, and refrigerate to store.
- If you have more than 1 child, consider making a double batch.
- Cream of Tartar can be expensive, but Woodman’s grocery store carries Tone’s Cream of Tartar for the best price. (1 batch may require 1-2 small jars, for a total of $.90-1.80).
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup salt
- ¼ cup cream of tartar
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ cup salt
- ¼ cup + 2T (6 T) cream of tartar
- 3 T vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- Add equal parts glue and liquid laundry starch to a Ziploc bag. Add a few drops of food coloring. Seal, and “squish” until glue is mostly stuck together.
- Now it’s time to get messy. Remove the congealed glue (there will be extra starch leftover in the bag), and mix/knead with your hands until smooth. Let sit for a few moments before using.
Homemade Puffy Paint
- Mix equal parts glue and shaving cream.
- Add several drops of food coloring or liquid watercolor.
- Mix and enjoy!