Training / Professional Development

There are two levels of certification: Provisional and Regular. The application process and regulations to maintain are the same for both levels. There are, however, differences in training requirements and reimbursement rates from the state for county-funded clients.

What trainings do all certified providers need to take?

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and Shaken Baby Syndrome (SBS) Prevention training is required for all providers (provisional and regular), employees, substitutes and volunteers. 4-C Training and Quality Improvement Department offers SIDS/SBS trainings almost every month.

What trainings do I need to become regularly certified?

Regularly certified providers must complete entry-level child care/development training and complete 5 hours of continuing education annually. The required entry-level courses for regular certification are:

  • Introduction to the Child Care Profession
  • Fundamentals of Family Child Care

Find a DCF approved agency offering entry level courses

Regularly certified providers must complete five hours of continuing education annually in order to maintain their regular certification status. The 4-C Training and Quality Improvement Department offers a wide variety of continuing education opportunities throughout the year to help provider meet this requirement, however providers are not required to take their continuing education at 4-C.


4-C Training Calendar

4-C Food Program Continuing Education (4-C Food Program participants only)

The Registry T-Net Training Network